I developed this salad based upon the Emperor’s Select Salad that is sometimes available in Safeway’s Deli Section and is Quinoa Edamame salad. I didn’t know all of the ingredients, but I continued to adapt my version until I got to a point where really like this for flavor and content, much better than the starting point. It seems to disappear whenever I make it. My guests say the salad grows on them. They think it’s interesting on the first bite, but then it sneaks up on them and they find themselves getting seconds and/or snacking on it. I believe it can keep in the refrigerator for up to a week, if it lasts that long. I hope you enjoy it.
|Ingredients for Steve’s Eagle Rock Salad. (Hyperlinked to Larger Picture)|
|Final Results for Steve’s Eagle Rock Salad. (Hyperlinked to Larger Picture)|
- 1.5 cups Cooked Gluten Free Red Quinoa & Gluten Brown Rice mixed 3:1 in ratio prior to cooking.
- 1 cup cooked organic edamame
- 1/2 can organic Black Beans (washed)
- 1/2 cup chopped Red Pepper
- 1/2 cup diced organic onion
- 1/2 cup to 1 cup – Craisins (chef’s option)
- 2 tablespoon diced jalapenos (chef’s option)
- 5 tablespoons Red Apple Balsamic Vinegar (Tres Classique)
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons sugar (5 if dextrose/glucose)
- 1 tablespoon ginger paste
- 1 tablespoon roasted garlic paste
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
1 – Prepare quinoa-rice mixture in a rice cooker and prepare the edamame according to directions on the package. I generally use frozen edamame and need to heat over boiling water.
2 – Thoroughly wash black beans in a strainer under flowing water in a sink.
3 – Mix salad ingredients into mixing bowl and mix with a spatula.
4 – Mix dressing ingredients in second mixing bowl and stir with a spatula.
5 – Pour dressing over salad in salad mixing bowl and stir with a spatula.
6 – Put in refrigerator and cool.
Rice: 90 minutes depending uon the rice cooker
Edamame: 8 minutes over high heat
Mixing Ingredients: 5 to 8 minutes
Ideal time to cool in a refrigerator: 2 hours
Source: Steve Sliwa adapted this recipe from Edamame Quinoa (Emperor’s Select) salad sold at Safeway Deli. The dressing is considerably different and really sets this salad out into a special category IMHO.
Suggested Course: Side or Snack
Serving Size: 3 heaping Tablespoons
Estimate Calories: 110